A classic nicoise calls for tuna, but on holidays and special occasions, we like to indulge. Our beautifully seared Nanuk Smoked Black Cod Fillets are the perfect pairing for this well-rounded salad, providing textural contrast against the crunchy endives and sweet cherry tomatoes. This portion is ideal for sharing with one or two others family style. Enjoy with a bottle of dry white for a great date night meal.
Sablefish Nicoise Salad
Serves 2-3 family style
1 medium clove garlic
¼ teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
¼ cup white-wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
6-8 ounces Nanuk Smoked Black Cod Fillets
2 tablespoons olive oil
10-12 Belgian endives, ends cut
1 pound green beans, trimmed
1 pound red potatoes (4 medium), scrubbed and halved
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
3 hard boiled eggs, peeled and cut into wedges
1 container of spring mix
¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove Nanuk Smoked Black Cod Fillets from packaging and pat dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the two tablespoons of olive oil in pan over medium high heat. Place the cod skin side down into the pan, searing for about four minutes before flipping. Cook for another two to three minutes before removing from pan and setting aside to rest.
- To prepare vinaigrette, smash the garlic with the side of your knife and peel. Using a fork, mash the clove with ¼ teaspoon salt in a small bowl to form a coarse paste. Whisk in the oil, then slowly add the lemon juice bit by bit until combined. Add in the vinegar and mustard until well blended. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about ten to fifteen minutes. Let cool before slicing. Drizzle with a third of the vinaigrette before setting aside.
- Meanwhile, add the green beans to the pot and blanch quickly until just cooked, about four minutes. Rinse in a colander with cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain well before placing in a medium bowl and tossing with two tablespoons of the vinaigrette.
- On a large platter, arrange spring mix. Place endives, potatoes, green beans, and tomatoes on top. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette and arrange fish on top. Garnish with eggs and parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Tip: Prepare potatoes (step 4) and green beans (step five) ahead of time and keep in fridge separately for up to three days.
For more information on how to order this product, please reach out to your local Oceanfood Sales office.