This recipe pairs our Black Cod Fillets with a beautifully light Italian tomato broth. A quick pan sear to yield a golden crust helps highlight the flaky texture of the fish, while the aromatic broth warms you from the outside out on a cold winter evening. The whole meal comes together in no time and is perfect for an easy weeknight meal.
Pan-Seared Black Cod Fillets with Tomato Brodo
4 portions Nanuk Smoked Black Cod Fillets
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon of olive oil
Spiced Tomato Brodo:
28 ounce can of whole or crushed tomatoes
½ yellow onion, julienned
3 cloves of garlic, slivered
¼ cup tomato paste
½ cup dry white wine
½ teaspoon oregano
¼ teaspoon chili flakes
28 oz chicken stock
10-12 nugget potatoes, halved
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Salt to taste
Frico Topping (optional):
1 cup freshly grated parmesan
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
½ tablespoon grated lemon zest
- Remove cod fillets from packaging and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat oil over medium high heat. Add cod skin side down and cook for four minutes until golden brown. Flip, finish and cook for an additional two minutes. Remove from pan and let rest while you prepare the brodo and frico topping.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Mix the parmesan, basil, and lemon zest in a bowl.
- Heat saucepan over medium heat and add olive oil. Once hot, add onions and sweat until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add tomato paste to combine, and cook until it sticks to the pan, turning a brick red colour.
- Deglaze with white wine.
- Add stock, potatoes, oregano, and chili flakes. While the brodo comes to a boil, transfer a heaping tablespoon of the cheese mixture to a silicone or parchment lined baking sheet and lightly pat down. Repeat with the remaining cheese mixture, spacing the spoonfuls about ½ inch apart. Bake 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Let cool before using a spatula to remove.
- Let the brodo simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked through.
- Ladle hot brodo into warm bowls. Nestle fish gently on top of potatoes. Garnish with frico topping and add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
For more information on how to order this product, please reach out to your local Oceanfood Sales office.